Hiding In Plain Sight Hiding In Plain Sight

Excellent as always. Extremely clean line-work and coloring, accompanied by nice and fluent animation. Usually I see your videos have kind of stock and generic writing, but considering this one didn't have all that much dialogue and instead relied on more unpredictable moments and just hilarious visuals, it worked out very well. Seeing all those assassins' stern faces made me laugh.

I Know You Too Well I Know You Too Well

This sincerely has to be one of my favorite Flash movies ever made, honestly, there's really not much else I can say.

First of all, the lip-syncing and good working physics are all there, but the animation is just so incredibly bouncy, stretchy and over-exaggerated it is amazingly fun to watch. Not only that, but I really loved how each situation the two characters were in kept changing, each one unique from the last. You also managed to transition some of them going from scene-to-scene very nicely and in very clever ways.

The whole thing was so colorful, and the locations and scenarios were so constantly dynamic and crazy that it was so interesting to watch, not for half a second I got bored even in the slightest.

You really seem to understand the whole original concept of "cartoon". Breaking reality's physics, going above-and-beyond, explosions of vibrant colors and different time periods, worlds, stories, all the time, not that slow-paced, boxed-up, stiff animation I'm so incredibly used to seeing everywhere now.

So overall I really really loved it a lot, you are extremely talented.

Star of the North Fist Star of the North Fist

That was beautiful. Made me laugh pretty hard.

For a technical standpoint, it was very good. Drawings were very detailed, lots of colors, shading layers and so forth, and that combined with the high amounts of frames you use made it look great, I can see how something like this would take some patience to make.

But what really did it for me was the comedy. I found this amazingly funny, this is probably my favorite kind of humor. It's sort of an anime-mocking, parody-styled video, yet it's not parodying a SPECIFIC thing, so in the end it is its own original idea. I laughed especially at the parts when characters would do certain things for no real given reason, like he just says he "understands" and just gives up and walks off, but nothing is really explained... look I don't know what it is but that is just funny to me.

And yeah, SirUndead does it again, woooooooooooooooohhhh!!!!!!!!

But overall it was really great. A lot of the drawings were creepily funny, that along with everything's unique style and ACTUALLY FUNNY humor was good, very nice work.

NoPUNintendo NoPUNintendo

Lotta improvement, I liked how the situations kept changing, made it all very dynamic and interesting to watch. I'm not a fan of puns really, but a lot of it seemed pretty clever, and, well, the title makes it clear that it's going to have puns, I can't really complain.

Aside from that, line-work was pretty clean, backgrounds were pretty well-done, it was all pleasant to look at. Animation is pretty smooth, but it kinda lacks most of that fun bouncy movement that I like, it was pretty stiff... but, for what it was, it was good. Nice job, keep on improving.

TerminalMontage responds:

Thank you sir. Still got a ways to go to get that fluidity, but I'm working on it :)

Zelda:Whatever Zelda:Whatever

That was really great, animation was bouncy and unpredictable, very nice soft and creamy colors, whole thing was hilarious all the way through, excellent.

Da Binding of Izick Da Binding of Izick

Before I start, let me just clear up that from your response to my review on one of your previous videos, I don't leave negative comments on people's submissions to "act superior", I just do it to share my thoughts, which is what the whole point of reviews are in the first place. I just didn't find this enjoyable.

First off, like some other people are saying, yes, all the jokes have to do with references to the game itself, and no average person who has not played the game would find it funny. You can make game parodies and still find ways to put in some funny moments that everyone can enjoy, but I didn't see any in this one.

Usually your videos have at least a couple of redeeming factors, but I don't think this one did. He just sort've talked and explained everything he was seeing, then the coat hanger stabbed him in the head, and then he started crying and then it just ended, I really fail to see how this was funny, even for people who played the game.

For visuals, some of the frame-by-frame was okay, but the drawings were extremely simple, and like usual the character kept losing his proportions and symmetry as he moved around, and no, that's not a "style" unless you're purposely trying to make it look like that (for some reason), otherwise it just shows that the animator needs to learn to be more consistent with the drawings.

I didn't really want to review this, but seeing that so many people are going "wow, look at how many videos you are pumpin' out so fast, you're amazing", it just goes to show that you are not taking much time with these things, any animator could make videos as fast as this if they just rushed it.

KawaiiPiranha responds:

It's totally fine to find that that's your opinion, but I'm honestly trying. I'm sorry if you don't like my cartoons, I really am.

But a lot of people DO like my cartoons, and I'm trying hard to appeal to everyone in different ways. I'm really just getting started in all of this. I've never taken any classes or anything so I'm trying to learn it all on my own. I'm gonna respond a bit more to the guy above me, so you can read more there if you wish.

Tainted Goods Tainted Goods

That was really cool, I loved all the creepy and twisted designs on the characters and demons, everything was very unique. Your choice of colors is more on the dull side, but it fits the mood and tone perfectly. I also like how you (presumably) use the pencil tool for the characters' line-work, I think it also matches it very well. Also I like your voice acting.

It was just a quick and fun little video, I liked the faint, classy music playing throughout it while he was explaining everything. Animation is also pretty smooth and just looks good and accommodates the artwork, really nice job, I enjoyed it a lot.

Event Horizon Event Horizon

That was very, very touching.

The thing is, with videos, there's always that content/execution balance you need to find for it to be good, and I can't say this had the most spectacular art or animation ever, but there was something else there, and it was heart, soul, and emotion. Putting your heart and mind to something, drawing it and then bringing it to life though animation naturally creates this energy, and any viewer who can sense that energy will feel the emotions of what the author put into it. Let me tell you, I'm not really soft, but I almost shed a tear at some parts through admiration for this.

I really like the flow this had, the transition to scenes and angles was nice and dynamic. The rain effects were good, and I loved the turning-point of the video, where she opens the box and assembles the puzzle, there was just this burst of color and I liked that. But the ending shot was my favorite, pressed against the glass wall, longing to get passed, as it zoomed out with all the snow and the grey sky surrounding her, I dunno what it was but I really, really loved that a lot, it just seems like it showed what you were feeling, you got the point across of what you were trying to say, the story you were trying to tell. That's what I love about animation and cartoons. I'm really proud of you.

daigonite responds:

Thanks.

More than most people you know what was going on and while I didn't tell you everything, you probably figured it was a lot to deal with, especially at my age and current standing. It kinda was natural I think. Like it felt necessary to do this.

I think in the future while my cartoons may become less clunky or flawed, and have progressively better art, they won't really hit the same chord as with this one, simply because it's a visual representation of things I can't express with words. I'm glad that my messages come across.

Team Fortress 2 Fail Team Fortress 2 Fail

Huuuhh... to be honest I wasn't really impressed. The visuals are good, the coloring on them is amazing, and the overall drawings just look well-made. The animation however is something to be desired. Not the worst by any means, but a lot of the time it was very choppy and slow.

The biggest problems however rely in the content itself, first off I just didn't really find it funny at all, it was slow-paced and boring, all the jokes heavily relied on references to the game itself, which can be funny if done properly, but in this case, I dunno, I didn't even find them amusing. Everything was just so stiff and slow-paced.

Perhaps if the animation was faster and the writing was more clever and snappy, I would've enjoyed it a lot more.

Wonders of the Universe 3 Wonders of the Universe 3

Well all I can really say was that I really didn't enjoy this too much.

The first problem was obviously in the visuals themselves, and that's practically the biggest thing in a cartoon. The characters, backgrounds and just the artwork in general looked incredibly flat and two-dimensional, I could barely sense any depth in anything. The characters were all line-tooled and when they moved around it was extremely stiff and the motions just seemed awkward. Occasionally it looked okay and had a nice flowy look to it when you used easing on the tweens, but the rest of the time it just looked cheap and off, it was simply unpleasant to me.

This issue showed especially when the characters were running, there was no bouncing motion or really anything to show that force was being put behind the movements. Sometimes the perspective got all distorted, like when the camera was zooming out of the two on the planet for one example. Also the lip-syncing, it matched with the words they were saying, but it was just one picture for each sound, their mouths kept blinking to different frames. It beats mouth-flapping, but it still wasn't so great.

The colors weren't really interesting, just boring, dull shades and muddy-looking half of the time. I didn't find them appealing.

When they were running from that monster, at some parts when it zoomed in on them it looked pretty good since you put eases on the tweens, but the lack of music, ambiance and overall sound effects in general made it so dead. It was just boring.

Writing was okay but again, kinda boring, everything was so slow-moving and I just wished the whole thing would hurry up and end already throughout the whole thing. Voicing was alright, the robot guy sounded good, the other characters were kinda bland though.

Overall I found it stiff, flat, slow-moving and lifeless, could've been so much better.

Toonwerks responds:

Casey, the background artist ~ as an artist, I know that the biggest rule to making anything is that you simply aren't going to please everybody, and that's fair. The beauty of creative media is that it's better for the diverse input it gets.

I can actually agree with you on a few things here. We had a bit of a marathon putting this episode together. I don't know how you felt about the other episodes if you've seen them, but we brought in a new animator and were trying some new things on this one. A lot of 'real life' got in the way and we were cycling the file around a lot of hands. I'd be lying if I said it didn't suffer from this.
That being said however, in a professional atmosphere, you HAVE to learn how to work fluidly with multiple artists, animators, composers, etc. If you can't deal with it, than you're just not going anywhere.
In our case, I'm glad we had this episode to learn our own strengths and weaknesses, and to be honest, I don't think it came out that badly, and I'm glad we had the experience that we could learn from.

That being said, I think it's a silly thing to criticize someone for using the line tool. I could use that logic to say that anyone's work is bad for using the paint bucket tool or hell, even flash itself. Why don't we really get down to business and hand-draw everything on paper like a REAL animator.

Plus, I'll be honest, personally I COULD draw a lot of the environments by hand, (in fact I usually do in concept art, I have notebooks overflowing with art and drawings) but it's really only a stylistic change. When I use the pencil or do things with a tablet, I tend to put more gritty details into it, I use a lot of lines to bring out the shading and such. It has a totally different feel and vibe to it. If I'd done things in that style, than I doubt it'd match very well to the characters or animation. Wonders is supposed to feel very clean and smooth, and yes, simple. We actually agreed on the style in the beginning before episode 1 was ever finished, so that we could sync up our work with one-another easier. We keep to basic shapes and stuff on purpose. Some people don't like that or see it as lazy, but again, we understand that not EVERYONE is going to just fall in love with it, and that's fine.

In the animation, I can't argue with you a whole lot. Me and Joseph animated large parts of this, and neither of us have animated something on this scale in years, so that was a bit ambitious, but we had to if we wanted the episode to get done, because Chris Boe was being bombarded with work, and Mark was busy making episode 4. Like I said before, it was a learning experience, and I believe we're planning on updating the character models in some way after ep4.

I don't know what to say about your sound effects comment, because if you take ANY frame of that sand worm scene, there's at least 2 or 3 sound effects playing weather it be wind, roaring, or explosions.

In the end, I could see us changing up how we work with one another in the future to have a more streamlined result. But we don't have an office where we can easily trade these files, it's all done online between people who never see each other and sometimes rarely hear from each other. On top of that, we want to try to get this stuff out fairly quickly so that there's not a lot of dead space between releases. It's a great experience and I like working with these guys and I'm sure we'll improve over the coming months.

I wish I could give you a better response other than "oh, well oh well, /shrug" but that's really all I can think to say. Thanks for the lengthy review though, I do enjoy reading through all of them.